Soloing as a Puppetmaster
5:56 PM | Author: Monday's Dusk
My chosen profession in FFXI at the moment ( i say at the moment because i tend to change a lot ) is Puppetmaster. Yes, i know what you're thinking: "lolpup" i get that a lot, but i normally only get that from people who have never tried the splendorous spine-tingling serendipitous Job that is Puppetmaster.
I simply adore this job, for many reasons, too many reasons to go into too much detail, but i love this profession for 3 main reasons:
  1. I can have my pet out for as long as i want with no MP cost
  2. I can control my pet with something other than weapon skills
  3. I can rock at soloing

The third reason is really the point of this post, I'm generously giving my readers (however few they may be) a few little tips and tricks that i find good to know when soloing as a Puppetmaster. I write this assuming that you have a basic knowledge of Automaton Attachments and Frames before beginning to solo, because honestly you shouldn't be looking at a solo guide if you're just starting out the job.

  1. DEX and Evasion

If you're a /war sub like me (which i suggest you do, because i really don't like investing in DEX evasion AND str equipment, and WAR gives that extra boost that i need) then DEX and Evasion are your best friends, as well as some powerful H2H weapons. DEX ensures that you can actually hit your enemy, and with a C in H2H skill, that comes in handy for a Puppetmaster in the later levels. and Evasion is my personal favorite instead of VIT because generally VIT gear is more expensive than Evasion gear, and it's mostly for PLDs, and because seeing the little "Miss" messages pop up on my screen fills my heart with passionate joy.

2. Str and Attack

Like i said before if you sub WAR you shouldn't have too much problem with dealing the damage you need to. But if you don't sub war than STR and Attack equipment (like battle gloves) are your backup friends, you know? the ones you call when your actual friends are busy with other things. They're important, but not quite as important as your DEX and Evasion equipment

3. Frames to Use

Well i really shouldn't say "Frames" rather "Heads" because the Stormwalker frame is the only frame that really heals reliably (other than the harlequin frame but i never use it) it's going to be your soloing partner for the trials ahead. Once you hit level 40, make sure to pick up your Soulsoother head first, it will become your automaton's new favorite hat.

4. Strategy

My strategy really isn't all that complicated, but i'll share it with you anyway.

I start out with Light Maneuver to get my Automaton to use Flashbulb, and i make sure that Light is up the entire battle, so he refreshes the effect when possible. I move on from Light to Dark Maneuver, because that starts him on his enfeebling path if i don't need healing. It also gets him to use Mana Converter when he needs it. I go from there to Ice Maneuver, basically because it shortens the length between casts of the Automaton.

That's it! Those are my tips for Soloing with Puppetmaster, and let me tell you, I've flown through the 40's and am approaching the 50's with increasing speed. This job is one of the most rewarding I've ever played and i definitely recommend people step out of the darkness and into the light that is puppetmaster, stop cowering behind your "Lolpup" sunglasses and enjoy the sunshine!

This entry was posted on 5:56 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: